Friday, January 21, 2011

I know that I carefully documented my love for the Madrid metro here, so I'm going to share about the VERY different kind of public transportation we use in Cape Town: Minibus Taxis.

They are built to fit maybe 12 people, but the drivers normally fit about 20 in. They drive down regular routes, (up and down Main Road in between Cape Town and Observatory) and honk their horns, yell, try to attract your attention so you'll get into their minibus. People are squeezed in so tight people often have to get out so new people can get in. You pass your rand up to the driver or (in many cases), another man who helps him out by opening the door, stuffing people in and collecting money. I've heard that some of them are really decked out, but I've only ever been in normal to rundown minibuses. The drivers don't have a lot of respect of driving laws, which is a problem for me because I'm still really confused about drivers following laws (everyone's on the wrong side of the street!).
They're pretty safe in the day if you make sure that you're getting in taxi's that have people in them.

I can't say that I enjoy a minibus ride more than I enjoyed the metro, but they are definitely a different way of getting around. One thing the Spanish and South Africans have in common is a MUCH smaller personal bubble than Americans are used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment